This awesome tool will help automatically map Google Analytics Universal metrics, dimensions, filters, and segments used in your existing widgets and dashboards to GA4.
Some questions you may have about this new feature:
- ''How come I don't see this feature in my account?'' - You need to have a Google Analytics Universal source connected to your DashThis account in order to see this feature!
- ''Does it create a new dashboard (or duplicate my existing one)?'' No - the data in the dashboards you choose to migrate will be overwritten. Not sure if you want to migrate? Give it a try by cloning a dashboard that has Universal data and convert it! That way you can save your UA report and see what the converted GA4 report looks like 😊
- ''Do I need to change my subscription?'' - No as it does not create a new dashboard so, your subscription will not be affected however, if you want to clone your dashboards before migrating, you may need to add room for these reports. Consider doing a quick cleanup and if possible, delete some old reports that are no longer applicable. At any time you can talk with the support team if you need assistance.
- ''How does it work?'' - Watch our demo video below or simply look at the how-to steps in this article!
- ''Will I lose my UA data once I convert to GA4?'' - No! Your UA data will be hidden but not lost. We've even created a UA dashboard archive tool so you can consult your previous UA reports and send them to your customers anytime! (see the Archived feature at the very bottom of this article)
- ''Is it possible to revert back after I migrate?'' - Yes, however, please note that there are some limitations (see below).
- You will lose content for comment boxes (content and images)
- You will have a new sharing URL
Here is a tutorial video on how to use the GA4 migration tool.
Below is the step-by-step process and how to use the migration conversion tool:
Step 1. Click on START MIGRATION
Step 2. A window will appear listing all of your dashboards that contain UA data. Select the dashboard.s you want to migrate or select all.
Step 3. Click on NEXT
Step 4. In this window, you will see your UA sources connected to the dashboard on the left-hand side. To the right, you will be able to choose the GA4 source that will replace the UA one.
- If you do not see your GA4 source in the right-hand column, please verify that it is connected to your integrations manager.
- The GA4 source does not need to already be linked to a dashboard in order to connect it only your account.
Step 5. Click on NEXT
Step 6. In the next step, you will see a prefilled list of your UA metrics/dimensions and their GA4 replacement.
Important to know:
- Each field must be entered in order to move to the next step, if you do not have a replacement metric or dimension, please select ''do not convert for now'' at the bottom of the drop-down - Selecting the “do not convert for now” option will leave UA widgets unchanged. These can be changed afterward by re-doing another migration or by working directly in your dashboard (delete and create your GA4 widget from the preset or custom widget option)
- Custom metrics and dimensions from Universal and GA4 are not yet supported.
- Custom Segments are not yet supported.
- Merged widgets are not yet supported.
- Calculated goals are not yet supported.
- Some UA metrics/dimensions do not have an obvious replacement, for these, you can select your own metric or dimension. These will always appear at the top of the list and to the right you will see ''Choose a replacement option''.
- IMPORTANT: each field needs to be entered in order to move to the next step, if you do not have a replacement metric or dimension, please select ''do not convert for now at the bottom of the drop-down''
- Custom metrics and dimensions are not yet supported
Should you wish to see our UA/GA4 metrics and dimensions equivalent list, please click HERE.
Even if there is a replacement available, you can still select any other metric or dimension in the drop-down list to the right.
Step 7. Click on NEXT
Step 8. *This step is ONLY applicable if you have filters, segments, or goals. If you do not have any of these in your dashboard, you may skip to step 9 and Migrate now.*
Enter your Filters, Segments, and Goals. Some will be pre-filled, some will be recommended, and the others you can make your own selection.
- Filters must be mapped by the client, the migration tool does not support filers with goals (ex: ga:Goal1Completion > 10)
- Segments become filters in GA4
- There are two types of Segments
- (1) Preset Segments - these are automatically pre-filled
- (2) Custom Segments - these are custom segments that are created in your GA4 properties/reports.
- There are two types of Segments
- Goals - the equivalency will be a metric with the possibility to add a filter to the metric. Most goals should be a combination of metrics and filters, but if it's just a metric, it also works.
Step 9. Click MIGRATE - You will then see a confirmation that your migration has started.
- The dashboards you migrate will become inactive until completed. This process may take up to 24 hours.
- After your migration has been completed, please note that all of your widgets titles and column labels will have the same title as they did in your dashboard before the migration.
- At any time, if you click on the exit button at the top right-hand corner, there will be a warning message to let you know that all progress will be lost should you exit. If you choose to exit, please note that you will need to restart your migration from the beginning.
ARCHIVED UA DASHBOARDS - NEW! 🌟
We promised that your UA data would not be lost once you migrated your Google Analytics Universal dashboards to GA4. To permit this, we needed to create a feature that would allow you to archive your dashboard. This is an add-on to the migration tool which allows you to view Universal reports and share them with your clients at any time!
The best part is that you don't need to do anything to archive your dashboards! A new group called Archived UA Dashboards will automatically create itself when you migrate a UA dashboard to GA4, dashboard manager groups, and store the original copy of your Ua dashboard here. Some limitations apply (see below the archive share options screenshot).
If you have many groups, we suggest searching ''archived'' in the search group placeholder to pull up your archived UA dashboards quickly.
To share an archived dashboard, it's the same as if you were sharing an active dashboard - click on the dashboard, and to the right, select your sharing options and pick the option that is best for you and your client!
Archive feature notes & limitations"
- You can change the dashboard period at the top of your dashboard
- If the beta date picker was enabled on your UA dashboard prior to migrating, it will not be applied to your archived dashboard - the original time period chosen at the time you created your dashboard will be applied (for example monthly)
- You CAN NOT edit/delete, change groups, or unarchive an archived dashboard - For example:
- You can not edit, add, or delete metrics and dimensions
- You can not change sources
- You cannot fix errors if displayed in widgets, they will unfortunately be archived like this
- Comment box content will not follow the archived dashboard
- Rolling and Campaigns dashboards may have unusual displays as this feature is mainly used with the periodic dashboard
- This feature is only available with the Google Analytics Universal Migration tool
- Archived dashboards are not a part of the dashboard count of your subscription
We hope this new tool helps you during the Google Analytics Universal migration towards GA4 - Should you need help with the GA4 migration tool, please contact our Support Team.